Microsoft have caused quite a stir by recently announcing plans to launch its Surface tablets range. So why all the fuss, after all the iPad is the king of the tablets, right? Well the tablet market is one of the world’s fastest growing media platforms and is worth a staggering 31.25 billion dollars a year. With figures that good, the Microsoft Surface is a tablet well worth swallowing.
Although Apple own a 63% share of the market with the other 37% going to Android, Microsoft clearly believe it is time to emerge with its Windows 8 operated Surface tablets. So what does the Microsoft Surface tablet do differently? First the tablet will come in two flavours with a choice of Window RT or Windows 8 Pro.
The exterior of both is near identical with its extremely sleek design and beauty. Both tablets will use Gorilla glass and will have a generous 10.6″ HD screen. The key difference between the two is under the hood. The RT version will come with a NVIDIA Tegra ARM chip and house a standard HD screen. The Windows 8 Pro tablet comes packaged with the powerful Intel Core i5 processor and Full HD (1080p) screen. The Pro tablet is ideal for enthusiasts and business users alike with it easily being capable of running programs such as office and Adobe. The only negative with the Pro tablet is the heavier frame of 903 grams.
The news of a Microsoft Tablet comes at a similar time to the Google Nexus 7 announcement; an affordable Android tablet that punches quad core processing power.
Surface tablets also come with a Touch and Type Cover. This is a screen cover that attaches to the screen magnetically, and folding it down will reveal a keyboard. The cover has touch-sensitive keys and is just 3mm thick so there is no need to apply pressure as just touching it is enough. The cover will be available in five colors so there is something to suit everyone.
Although we are still waiting for Microsoft to confirm the complete specifications for the Surface tablets it is fair to say the future is bright for Microsoft as they enter their first tablet into the market. Not only does it have attractive design and some innovative features, it is also a powerhouse when it comes to the hardware department.
The next stage is for Microsoft to ensure their Windows 8 is a comparable tablet OS to iOS and Android. With over 100,000 applications available on their Windows Phone Marketplace they are not going to be short of top quality applications or software on their new tablets, a crucial element to any success story. Windows 8 looks set to build on the tiled user interface of the Windows Mango OS devices such as the affordable Nokia Lumia 610.
Are you looking forward to the new Microsoft Surface Tablet? Can it be more successful than the iPad? Let us know on our Facebook page.
Microsoft Surface for Windows RT Tablet
Processor: NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip
Weight: 676 grams
Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
Display: 10.6” ClearType HD Display
I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Capacity: 32GB, 64GB
Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 Pro Tablet
Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6” ClearType Full HD Display (1080p)
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2×2 MIMO antennae
OS: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB, 128GB